Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Race Recap

I'm a few days late but I wanted to recap last Saturday's Cinco de Mayo Half-Marathon! This was my second half (first was here), so going into it I had a pretty good idea what to expect.

The two days before the race I did a lot of stretching, a lot of hydrating, and a lot of carb-loading. The night before the race my race partner, Megan, and I fueled up on a delicious spaghetti dinner. I relaxed at home the rest of the evening and even enjoyed two small glasses of wine (while continuing to drink tons of water, too).

I never sleep well the night before a big event (does someone want to send some Ambien my way for the night before my wedding?!), but I tried to relax and get as much sleep as my body would let me - which wasn't much. I got up at 6:30 on Saturday, ate a small breakfast, and headed out the door with Megan at 7 am.

We got to the race venue pretty early, which was great. We found parking immediately, picked up our bibs and swag bags, had plenty of time to hang out, drink water, stretch, and just take in the atmosphere - one of my favorite parts about organized races is the amazing positive energy in the air!

The race started at 9:05 and we were off! Megan and I ran the first 2.5 miles together, then she went off ahead of me. She was much more prepared and is generally a faster runner than I am, so we hadn't planned on running the entire race together, which was fine.

The first three miles totally sucked. The first three miles always suck for me. It takes some time for my body to really get into a groove, and I hit that groove at mile 3 where the first water station was. After that, I felt great. The course was awesome. It was almost completely flat and went along a small, two-lane road for most of the way. And it was absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I did stop along the way to take a few pictures. I couldn't resist!

Check out that house, right at the base of Mt. Si!

Miles 3-9 were awesome. I felt strong and motivated and was maintaining a pretty decent pace. I started slowing down a little before mile 10, and had to walk for the next mile and a half. But then I got a second wind and was able to start running again, knowing that I was almost there.

The absolute worst part of the race was arriving at the high school where the race started and ended. I could see the finish line, but before crossing we had to run a full lap around the track! It was pretty much evil and totally brutal. But I made it and crossed the finish line with a big smile on my face.

My goal was to beat my previous time of 2:50:30, but I didn't quite make it. My official time was 2:55:12, but I'll take it! I still went sub 3 and I'm pretty proud of that. 

After I got home, I was, of course, starving. The Scientist and I promptly headed to our local watering hole to catch the Sounders match and so I could enjoy this:

I was sore for a few days afterward, but am feeling great now and ready to start training extra hard for my next half-marathon in June! I can't wait to run the Rock n' Roll again!


  1. Yaaaay! Congratulations! I think I had a fairly similar experience with running my half marathon, but thankfully my pace started feeling good around the 1.5 mile mark. Good job finishing in under 3 hours! I feel inspired to sign up for my next half marathon now too :)

  2. Nice work!! Sounds like a great course. I bet you'll beat your time in June.

  3. I just posted my half marathon recap too! I agree that the first few miles are always the hardest--although during the half marathon, the first three miles were the easiest for me, i think it was because it was downhill!

  4. Awesome job, that is a huge accomplishment! I am not a natural runner so I really admire those who excel at it.

  5. Congrats on your second half marathon- WOO HOO! You certainly deserved that burger and fries. :-)

    And I wouldn't recommend Ambien the night before your wedding if you have never taken it me that you will be so excited that day it won't matter if you didn't get a lot of sleep. CP snored the ENTIRE NIGHT the night before our wedding so I didn't get a ton of sleep...but you are on such a natural high that it didn't matter one bit.

  6. Congrats! Looks like a beautiful course. I love mount si.

  7. I forgot the race was in my hometown! It's always fun seeing it from someone else's perspective -- I definitely take the beauty for granted.

    So glad you had a good race -- can't wait to see you for the Rock'n'Roll!! (I should probably start training?)

  8. I'm so proud of you! This is awesome!


Talk to me, Goose.